Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2011

Book Review: Saving CeeCee Honeycutt


I have had a couple of late nights staying up with CeeCee Honeycutt. Now that I've come to the end of the book, I'm in withdrawal. I'll miss her.

Beth Hoffman's "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt" is another one of those books that just seemed to hold within it a certain type of energy that felt really powerful. Perhaps this book helped me explore the right side of my brain (if that makes no sense to you check out posts from the past few days and it might!)because I cried, laughed and just "felt" my way through it.

CeeCee is a very capable but burdened 12 year old, living in Ohio, when her whole life changes. When seemingly tragic events occur, she finds herself catapulted into the Southern hospitality of Savannah and the life of her affluent, influential, Aunt Tootie.

At it's essence, this is a story of the impacts of mental illness and the fine line between eccentricity and dysfunction. In fact, the lines seem pretty blurred and appear to be more a matter of perspective and environment.

"Saving CeeCee Honeycutt," is also a story of the strength and power of women. There are very few men that even appear on the pages. When they do they do show up, they are only used to enhance the plot line,and they are easily outsmarted and overshadowed by women. They are not trashed or put down, they just don't seem particularly necessary. It is a story of sisterhood, and a celebration of feminine values. The characters aren't trying hard or struggling to overcome anything- they just "are" and that's what makes it wonderful.

People often tell me titles of great stories they have read. I can never remember the titles or the authors names when I'm standing in a book store. But if I've seen the cover, I know what I'm looking for. So, in searching for a picture of the book to put on the blog this morning, I came across Beth Hoffman's website and blog. It's as good as her book in my opinion. I'll be following it at http://bethhoffman.net/blog There are some thought provoking posts on there, some suggestions for other good reads, and lots of tips for writers.

I'm rather sorry to leave Savannah this morning. It's muggy heat has been replaced with a reality biting minus two digit cold, huge iciciles everywhere and frozen horse water buckets. Sigh... Then again, what would CeeCee Honeycutt do? Curl up with a good warm book for sure....

No comments:

Post a Comment